Subject: [Leica] Narrow DoF on the Leica E-3
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Mar 4 23:34:08 2008

Richard:  Thanks, this is what I expected.  If you shoot a gray card or an
evenly-lit blank wall, out of focus, and convert the image to grayscale,
it's a little easier to interpret.  I'm sure Photoshop has some sort of
eyedropper tool that measures the pixel values--most editors do.

Anyway, to clear up the questions others asked. . .

If you shoot at several different f-stops, but adjust your shutter so all
exposures are the same EV, then all pictures should be the same
brightness.  If I shoot a gray card at 1/60 @ f/2 and again at 1/125 @
f/1.4, the resulting pictures should look the same.  And with my film OM-2
and 50/1.4 Zuiko, that's what happens.  But put the same lens on the E-1,
and the picture taken at f/1.4 is much darker.  I found that I had to set
the shutter 2/3 of a stop slower than the expected value in order to get
the same grayscale value as the f/2 picture (the E-1 can adjust the shutter
in 1/3 stop increments).

f/2 and f/1.4 are one full stop apart.  But on the E-1, when you open up
from f/2 to f/1.4, the sensor doesn't get a full stop more light.  It only
gets 1/3 stop more.  The sensor is somehow not receiving all the light that
the lens is transmitting.

I'm only detailing one test I did here.  But the results were confirmed by
some practical available light photography.

So no, we're not talking about a lens that's only transmitting 1/3 stop
more light when you open up the full stop from f/2 to f/1.4.  With film,
the lens performs as it should.  But when that same lens is placed in front
of a 4/3 sensor, something different happens.  My guess is that some of the
rays get cut off by the pixel wells.  It must be a matter of angles, where
the node is for this film lens vs. a digital-specific lens that is more
telecentric.  The Leica 25/1.4 Summilux does not have this
problem.  Somebody on dpreview tested it the other day, and it behaves as
it should.

What it boils down to is that if you want a lens that truly delivers f/1.4
on a 4/3 camera, you're not going to get it with an OM 50/1.4.  You have to
buy the Leica lens, or the Sigma 30/1.4.  Or maybe another brand's "normal"
f/1.4 lens

--Peter

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD) ([Leica] Narrow DoF on the Leica E-3)