Subject: [Leica] Not a police state!
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Wed Mar 5 16:43:00 2008

i found an interesting WSJ article from July 8 2005 "Watch on
the Thames" which i am pretty sure you can google.

among its interesting facts:

  The British capital has more surveillance cameras monitoring its
  citizens than any other major city in the world. The highly visible
  gadgets are posted on the corners of many buildings, on new buses and
  in every subway station. Since 2003, the license plate of every car
  driving into central London during weekdays is filmed as part of a
  program to reduce traffic congestion. London charges a fee to cars and
  also uses the films to catch and fine cheats. In all, there are at
  least 500,000 cameras in the city, and one study showed that in a
  single day a person could expect to be filmed 300 times.

even more interesting is that this is not because of new technology,
and far preceded the symbolic 1984:

  Pervasive use of security cameras has been part of London life for
  more than four decades. The Underground installed its first cameras,
  using black-and-white film, in 1961 at the Holborn station in central
  London. By the 1990s, every station had a surveillance system. They
  are now all linked to three control rooms on London's outskirts.

1961!  a mere decade after orwell's passing.

-rei