Subject: [Leica] re IMG: casual portrait with Summilux 50asph
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Mar 2 15:45:05 2008

Hey Ted, be sure to let the group know how you go. Post some pics if
you can. I'm finding that the M8 is much more like shooting slide
film, rather than neg.
In contrasty light, especially back-lit subjects, I am seeing
highlights that go to pure white easily. There's so much tonal info
in those brighter parts that you don't want to throw any away. Its
easy to brighten the rest of course.
This stuff is not new, just I'm new at trying it for myself. Its all
a bit different naturally. Shooting pro Fuji slide film I get really
dense saturated slides with no compensation. In fact I have to
increase the exposure with the scanner almost every time. Meanwhile I
remain absolutely gob-smacked at how pure and beautiful the pictures
are using my 50 asph. on the M8. Stunning detail and colour. I need
to start saving for the 75 as well!
cheers
Geoff