Subject: [Leica] re IMG: casual portrait with Summilux 50asph
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Mar 2 13:37:10 2008

> Hoppy,
>
> >> Now to get better at the exposure control without throwing away
> too much
> at the highlight end.<<
> Don't think about it! Set the M8 on auto everything, focus and shoot!
> Never mind all that fiddling stuff
> It's no different than shooting with the M7, look, focus, shoot!
> Screw all
> the fiddling and thinking stuff and trust the camera.
> Trust me, despite all the counter intelligence against this method by
> skilled others it works and did for me shooting 500 rolls of tri-x
> while
> producing the pictures for the "Women in Medicine" book. The 3
> cameras were
> set on AE and I went click! And never lost a frame due to exposure.
> Lost
> them due to the ineptitude of the guy holding the camera. ;-)
>
> ted

> Hoppy showed:
>
> Subject: [Leica] IMG: Casual Portrait with Summilux 50 asph
>
> >>Folks, My first steps learning to manage exposure with a new M.
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/29trdn<<
>
> >The subject is my beautiful daughter from the shadow side.  Just a
> quick
> casual shot obviously.
> I'm completely biased of course, but I love this one.<<
>
> Hoppy,
> And rightly so, you should be bias with a fine looking young lady
> as this.
> Looks like not a bad shot for a "quick grab and click!"
> However a small word of caution which I'm sure you're aware of
> already. :-)
>
> She is wearing glasses and the one thing that ruins a picture of
> this nature
> quicker than anything else? .. If the frames cut through the eyes
> or eye!
> It'll kill a shooter every time no matter how good the rest of the
> picture
> is.
>
> Yep I also know there's always lots happening in a shot. In most
> cases don't
> worry about it, watch the eye glass frames ahead of all else.
>
> Damn fine photo in any case! :-)
>
> ted

Hi Ted, thanks a lot for looking an commenting.On the glasses, of
course you are right. This is an extra thing to consider with this
charming young lady.
On the exposure, I believe you about never losing a frame when you
shot all of that Tri-X using the AE on M7's. I got to know my M7
fairly well too, not to compare with your experience though!
With my first shooting with the M8, I'm finding that it is easy to
blow the highlights in a shot like this. Naturally I have to shoot
from the shadow side. I might end up with some minus dialled in all
of the time, like lots of people apparently do. You have to see this
stuff for yourself though.
Cheers
Geoff

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] re IMG: casual portrait with Summilux 50asph)