Subject: [Leica] film resolution
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Tue Feb 19 08:55:45 2008

I doubt that Fuji would publish resolution figures for such large
grain films. The large grain would cause the line pairs to run
together, even resolution as low as 10 lpmm. They would, however,
release numbers for microfilm or other high resolution document
films. Because of the difference of grain size between the 400 and
1600 speed films the 400 will be sharper. But you already knew that,
which is why you questioned the statement. I run resolution tests on
my lenses from time to time using very fine grained films and
developers. If you look at my evaluation of the new Kodak Tmax400
film you'll see where I have test charts of the old and the new film.
I used the highest resolving lens I have, the 50mm Summilux Asph, at
the best aperture, f11. This lens will normally resolve 88 lpmm on a
high resolution film like Acros 100 or Tmax 100 in X-tol. I was
surprised to see 72 lpmm with the 400 speed film. You can see the
results here.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/TMax400/>

I also found this site this morning while looking for your Fuji data.
They measure film resolution exactly the way I do and the way Modern
Photography did in the 60's.

<http://www.crystalcanyons.net/pages/TechNotes/FilmVsCP5000.shtm>

Done at the University of Colorado.

Len