Subject: [Leica] film resolution
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Feb 20 07:16:31 2008

Digital gives what I always thought I wanted but couldn't get with
film... sharp grainless images even in low light. But I've had second
thoughts.

The grain of high speed film is a good thing. It can give character to a
photo. Even the more subdued grain of medium speed films can be a good
thing. The ability to resolve fine detail can be important, but it's
often overrated. How many non photographers really care about
resolution? Either a photograph is interesting or it isn't. And too much
detail isn't always interesting. Like too much nonsensical dialog it can
even distract for the main point you're trying to get across.

Sharp pronounced grain can make for some interesting photos; especially
on silver prints because big grain just doesn't look the same on a
screen or from an inkjet (my personal opinion).

OTOH, mushy grain caused by developing high speed (rated or pushed) film
in a solvent developer (i.e. an ill advised attempt to turn Delta 3200
into Delta 100 or a D3 NEF file) is one of the biggest mistakes a person
can make. Rarely is it interesting. I like high acutance developers that
accentuate grain. Rough granite and obsidian are more dynamic than
smooth rounded river rocks. The former are explosive, the latter
pastoral at best.

Phooey to lppm! Long live grain! Unless of course you're photographing
something where resolution matters; such as modern architecture,
pristine landscapes......or attractive people! :-)

DaveR

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] film resolution)