Subject: [Leica] Couple of Alternative Mountainscapes
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Mon Feb 18 21:30:08 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, Richard Endress wrote:

> Bob,  Nice shots!  How did you get images this sharp? Was there a
> window to degrade the image or where you just shooting through the
> wind?  I was flying in a private plane shooting infared film and was
> not pleased with the results from shooting through plexiglass
> window.    Richard

Richard -

Well... normally I just let those shots-through-the-ever-so-
protective plane windows on commercial flights go by, but this time I
was seized by a real imperative to quick-move-the-camera-around-'till-
the-light-and-dark-stuff-makes-the-frame-sing.

So, I just went for it with the lowest ISO-highest-shutter-speed-
optimum-aperture-hold-it-real-steady approach.  Also, I did wipe my
window as clean as possible from the inside....

The sharpness of the final product is a combination of shameless use
of The Red Channel combined with re-mapping a somewhat narrowed
histogram so that there's less real bit depth across the tonal scale.

Also, that's kindof the way the surfaces were delineated 'cause of a
combination of snow, ice, topology and late afternoon sun.

Bob Palmieri