Subject: [Leica] Negative scanner question
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sat Feb 9 12:33:13 2008

Hi Javier,

The C5100A is not a dedicated film scanner. You can scan 4X6 prints
as well. I found this scanner to be very troublesome. I have had
three of them because the first two developed problems quite early in
their life. Fortunately every time it broke it was in warranty and HP
just sent me a replacement.I still have one but have not used it
since 2003 when I gave up on Windows machines and converted to the
Mac. I believe the software and drivers are for windows machines
only. You can still download the software from HP. The scans from
this unit are OK but not up to the standard of even the Nikon IV and
V models. The problem with the unit is in the auto feed mechanics
which lock up or will not switch between prints and negatives. If you
can get it to work scanning negatives keep it in that mode and don't
furnished a SCSI card and cable. If not it will cost you more then
the price of the scanner.

I personally don't like it. Get something more current with at least
a USB interface.

Len