Subject: [Leica] Negative scanner question
From: summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez)
Date: Sat Feb 9 11:50:56 2008

Hi Everyone.
I finally talked myself into buying a dedicated negative scanner.
Unfortunately it's 10 years old and probably obsolete. It's an original SCSI
HP photosmart C5100A.

Here's the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:31&Item=260210347580

So I was wondering, just how bad is this thing or rather how much better is
a modern scanner and How much should I be looking to spend?

I have also seen something called a Stratford Labs IS-505 scanner with 5mp
and a 4 element lens for under 100.
Is this one any good?

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=19138

I would like to digitize all of the family pics my dad took. He shot almost
all of them with his Summarit, Hektor, 90 Elmarit and 35 "extra element"
Summicron,
so I'm guessing they are sharp enough to make scanner selection important. I
would hate to have to rescan the whole lot because something better became
available!

Any opinions are very much appreciated!

Javier
Climb to the top of the charts!?Play the word scramble challenge with star
power.

Replies: Reply from dsy at furnfeather.net (David Young) ([Leica] Negative scanner question)
Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Negative scanner question)
Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Negative scanner question)