Subject: [Leica] Negative scanner question
From: dsy at furnfeather.net (David Young)
Date: Sat Feb 9 12:27:40 2008

At 09/02/2008, you wrote:

>Hi Everyone.
>I finally talked myself into buying a dedicated negative scanner.
>Unfortunately it's 10 years old and probably obsolete. It's an original SCSI
>HP photosmart C5100A.
>
>Here's the auction
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:31&Item=260210347580
>

>So I was wondering, just how bad is this thing or rather how much
>better is a modern scanner and How much should I be looking to spend?
>
>I have also seen something called a Stratford Labs IS-505 scanner
>with 5mp and a 4 element lens for under 100.
>Is this one any good?
>
>http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=19138
>
>I would like to digitize all of the family pics my dad took. He shot
>almost all of them with his Summarit, Hektor, 90 Elmarit and 35
>"extra element" Summicron,
>so I'm guessing they are sharp enough to make scanner selection
>important. I would hate to have to rescan the whole lot because
>something better became available!
>
>Any opinions are very much appreciated!

Hi Javier!

I had the C5100A when it was new.  About $370 then, and not worth the
money. It was good for basic scans of 4x6" prints, for the internet,
but not any good for negatives/slides.

Now obsolete and unsupported by HP, it is probably not worth the
postage to get it to you.  I've seen them in Garage Sales (Boot Sales
in the UK)  for about $20... and even that is a bit pricey!

I cannot speak for the Stratford Labs, from experience, but it looks
to be a 5mp camera with a fixed focus lens, set up for copying, much
as the old tube slide copiers were used with film cameras.  Also sold
as the VuPoint.  See:
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4108&itemType=PRODUCT

This is not likely to do as well as a "true" slide scanner, but it
will probably do better than the HP!

Good luck!

---

David Young,