Subject: [Leica] observation on the LUG photo contest
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Feb 3 14:35:08 2008

Phil has raised an important point regarding how pictures are viewed.
Context and authorship are undeniably part of art. Ask anyone
that has protested after paying a large sum for a picture later found to be
a fake. That may have more to do with commercial value
perhaps. I have the utmost respect for Mads working where he does and when I
look at his photograph I can identify a boot print as
likely to be military which provides a clue. On its own it is not striking
to me personally. In an essay for example, with context,
it may well be much more powerful. Imagine if Mads published a series, say
documenting a particular soldier or battle? What if this
photo was captioned, CPL Smith badly wounded, was the first to set foot
within the stronghold after a terrible battle, or something
of that ilk? The photo would be the same, but viewed in that context we
might rightly applaud it as compelling or historic. Anyone
remember the photos of Armstrong's(?) boot print on the lunar surface?
Historically magnificent; purely as a photo, overly contrasty
with indifferent composition, a picture of dirt ;-)

There are a number of entries that are readily associated with particular
photographers and/or locations. However, reading Brian's
instructions, those judges are meant to only consider their opinion of each
image, irrespective
of who took it (assumed or not) and disregarding relevance to the set theme.
I think that providing a good title is worthwhile too,
but I know that is always a point of contention in photography. Should the
title change our opinions? My personal view is that the
anonymity is essential but that the theme interpretation in fact should be
considered. Having said that, I acknowledge Brian's
stewardship and can also understand his approach. I just wanted to put those
thoughts out there in case it might stimulate a
discussion.

Cheers
Geoff, who has never entered anything that remotely impressed those judges!