Subject: [Leica] observation on the LUG photo contest
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sun Feb 3 13:02:12 2008

Brian Reid wrote:
The photo contest is anonymous. Unless the entrant's work is well enough
known that you can look at it and say "Oh, yes, that's by Steve Barbour"
then the judges look only at the image itself.

The image that came in dead last in the January contest was this one,
entitled "Snow 5":

http://contest.leica-users.org/main.php/v/0801/IMG_4117.jpg.html

Once the results of the contest were published and I saw that this image was
by Mads Christensen, who lives in Iraq, my opinion of the image totally
changed. Suddenly the brown parts of the image weren't just "brown crud"
they were "sands of Iraq", and suddenly the little patches of snow took on a
much more complex meaning.

I would have given it first place if I were a judge, even without knowing
the details.  However, by the time I saw it (via Brian's link) I already
knew the details.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE