Subject: [Leica] D Vario on E3 - was HK Winter shot
From: cummer at netvigator.com (admin)
Date: Sat Feb 2 16:47:32 2008

Hello Philippe,
I asked my camera seller (who surprisingly, unlike most Hong Kong
dealers, is quite knowledgeable) about using the Vario OIS stab on the
E3 (which, as you know, also has built in stabilization) and he
suggested that I should turn off one or the other so I have been using
the in camera stabilization with the lens stab turned off. This makes
sense to me. I reason that if both systems are on they may over
compensate themselves or cancel themselves out. The shot was ORF
processed in the Oly software since I couldn't get to CS2 to read the
ORF files.  I am finding that performance up to iSO 800 is exemplary
and with noise suppression very good to ISO 1600. The 100% viewfinder
is a vast improvement over the dim tunnel vision of the 330E and the
autofocus is now getting into Nikon D200 / Canon 40D territory in
terms of speed and accuracy. Live View is a compromise over the Live
View of the 330E and retrograde in my opinion. It doesn't have the 10X
magnification for manual focus lenses which so improved my focus
accuracy using R lenses on the 330E. This is a disappointment. Still,
in sum the E3 is several steps forward over the 330E/ L1 and I suggest
that if you try one you will likely end up buying it. However, I am
still keeping my 330E for use with R lenses.
Cheers
Howard (on the periphery of the worst winter in China in 50 years)

Replies: Reply from datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff) ([Leica] D Vario on E3 - was HK Winter shot)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] D Vario on E3 - was HK Winter shot)
Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] D Vario on E3 - was HK Winter shot)