Subject: [Leica] Capa or here we go again
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Mon Jan 28 11:16:17 2008

B.D.

I think you've put the shoe on the wrong tootsie. Let's take point one:

B. D. Colen wrote:
> Good Lord, Howard - What is so improbable that someone might shoot two
> people dying on approximately the same spot if the photographer was
> crouched
> nearby, camera pointed toward the spot?

What seems quite improbable is the existence of two images, both
available, with no other evidence. We have all those fellows waving
their rifles, jumping trenches, etc. but only two "death shots". A man
gets shot.....his compadres rush to pull in his dead body....another man
gets shot....Here come the heroic compadres...All that action and all
that lead in the air. If that really makes sense to you then welcome to
the Emerald City.

*Point two:*
> I think what puzzles me the most about all this is not whether or not it is
> real, but the seeming compulsion on the part of some to insist that it is
> not.

*When is it wrong to question uncorroborated truths? Hell's Bells. it
should be simple to prove the validity of  what happened. Let's see the
frames on either side of the 2 death shots. I don't think I'm the only
one who questions what has gone on here. If that were the case, who
would give a damn?*

*Point three:*
> How is it that Eddie Adams managed to push his shutter release at the
> precise instant the Gen. Lon's bullet entered the skull of the VC captive?
> Was that execution staged for Adams? Was he complicit in it?
>
> How did Bob Jackson happen to be in precisely the right position to get
> that
> astounding photo of Jack Ruby shooting Oswald? Was he tipped ahead that the
> shooting would take place?
>
> I don't think anyone asks those questions, yet, if one believes that
> uncritical "acceptance of this most improbable coincidence is inadequate,
>
>> irresponsible journalism" is the only way to view the possibility that
>> Capa
>>
> shot - sorry - two people on the same spot, how can one deal with those
> other
> two astounding coincidences?

*No, B.D., there really isn't a Santa Claus. Yes, Adams might have
thought so since Loan offed the VC at the right moment. Of course, there
were others corroborating the event. Seen the Films of the VC and his
messy headache?

Every time we look at some memorable images do we question how or why? I
don't.  More often than not these memorable works happen in view of
many, but with only a smattering of fantastic shots. I am particularly
attached the the Mt. Suribachi image. There has been a lot of give and
take about Rosenthal's veracity over the years but it doesn't upset me.
What does upset me is this compulsion on the part of so many to blindly
accept questionable events which go unproven.We are not in the romance
field or the propaganda field but the fact field. The fact that the
image was initially  questioned should raise red flags. What we have
seen published from the original take is enough to give me an uneasy
feeling. One thing is certain, I'd not fault Capa for this but all those
who followed. The propagandists, the fans of war photography and those
in a position to set it to rest.
*