Subject: [Leica] [img] is this light too soft?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jan 20 13:05:44 2008

> I'm thinking of doing a series of studio portraits of "heroes" -- doctors,
> firefighters, police -- people who for one reason or another put their
> lives
> at risk to protect others.
>
> i'd like to have a sort of "standard" portrait lighting for all of them,
> and
> was kicking around the 63 inch photek softlighter II as big enough and soft
> enough (and easy enough to set up) -- but looking at last nights tests on
> trillian:
>
>  http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2008/trill-sb1.jpg
>
>  http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2008/trill-sb3.jpg
>
> i'm wondering if it's just _too_ soft -- i'd like some sharper shadows on
> interesting faces and i'm wondering if it would be better to move to:
>
>  a) a smaller umbrella
>
>  b) a softbox
>
>  c) "window light" is not an answer here, thank you for trying though.
>
>  i'm afraid if i go to too small an umbrella, if just won't have the
> coverage
> to get "head to waist". gak.
>
> what are your favorite ways to light interesting faces with wrinkles &
> character? i fear i've been photographing models too long, trying to get
> RID
> of wrinkles and character ..... i want their faces to tell the story, if
> you
> know what i mean....
>

> kc

Mediums people seem more into now. Jumbo light sources you don't see as
much.
A large light source if its twice the distance away or however the inverse
square law works becomes in effect a much smaller lightsource.
And its out of the way.
But you need a very large space for these kinds of layout getting it 20 feet
away from the subject.
An advantage is when they move a couple of feet closer or further to you if
they were  dancing around the backdrop they not going to be making
themselves a brighter or darker  enough to worry about..
For a good ten years now everyone seems to be into using smaller light
sources closer. You get modeling; not a flat look.
Like Avedon always did. But on a boom.

Using a medium umbrella or light box real close for doing a tight head
really makes it in effect quite big and quite soft. You just have to not get
it in the shot.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com