Subject: [Leica] [img] is this light too soft?
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun Jan 20 12:55:29 2008

> what are your favorite ways to light interesting faces with wrinkles &
> character?

I use a key light that is a bare bulb with reflector, no diffuser, as far
away as my powerpack will let me put it. Specifically, I use this:
                http://www.novatron.com/products/18/

Then I use a fill light that has a big diffuser, and I dial it up and down
until I get the wrinkles that I want.

The farther off-center the key light is, the more pronounced the wrinkles.
Sometimes I like to put it very low (pointing upward at a 45 degree angle).
Very high doesn't seem to work very well; it makes the eyes too dark.