Subject: [Leica] Experiences Elmarit ASPH 28 vs IV generation E-46?
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat Jan 19 21:01:53 2008

those are pretty typical levels for any of the broker-dealers like
ubs (where i work) or morgan or merrill--in an average year.  problem
is they lost so much money in housing-related securities in 2007
that it's hard to pay anybody.  these companies have to get outside
investors to maintain regulatory capital.

now hedge fund manager john paulson took a famous bet against u.s. housing
and  PERSONALLY in 2007 earned an estimated 3-4 billion dollars.  he's the
guy who is hiring greenspan as an advisor.  goldman sachs also famously
bet against the housing market and stands pretty much alone among
investment banks to turn in huge profits.

you win some, you lose some.

-rei

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com