Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Sun Jan 13 12:55:39 2008

One thing I have noticed is many of the new shooters obsession with wide
angle lenses.  With a wide lens it is very hard to be unobtrusive.

I always carry a wide for those times I need it, but the meat and
potatoes photos are usually made with a 105 or 180 with the widest being
a 35.  It is far easier to be "invisible" when you are not "in the face"
of your subject.

A few weeks ago I was making photos, just for fun, at a reenactment
during the anniversary of the battle of Franklin.  I was standing way
off shooting this photo I liked with a 180, waiting for it to all "fall
together" when another shooter walks up and asks one person move over
here, you step out of the way, you talk and then shot ....totally ruined
the spontaneity of the moment and the shot.  I just shook my head and
walked off thinking how much news photography must have changed since I
quit it in the early 90's.  Admittedly this was not documentary
work...but I see many shots that seem to evidence this type interaction
often.....

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography