Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jan 12 16:44:11 2008

Tina said:

>> When I photograph families in developing countries, I stay with them (I
mean sleeping in the same bed usually!) and do my best to be unobtrusive.
After days of sitting quietly in a corner, I am truly forgotten by most of
the families I photograph.  I really am a quiet person who blends into the
background - an advantage to being a wallflower!!  I have many times had
people, when I give them copies of the photographs later, tell me that they
had no idea I was taking photographs.<<<

And right there is the difference between a photographer who is invisible
and people have no idea you are shooting or not!

Quite frankly the highest compliment a photojournalist can receive is. "WOW!
I never even knew you were taking pictures, let alone you were here!"

Right there is the secret to unobtrusive documentary photography! Be there,
be invisible and don't leave foot prints!

Example: all day medical shoot in new hospital, new operating rooms, new
doctors, new nurses and nobody really knows what the hell your doing, nor
who you are.

You return two days later for next all day session. But in hand you have 50
11X14 B&W prints to die for and drop them on a table in the medical lounge
allowing the medics to see some of what you did the first day! Trust me
that's when you find out just how invisible you are or were!

At that moment you become one of the team in the OR!  That is if you were
invisible!

Quite frankly anytime you shoot leaving the impression you were not there
and yet you capture every little nuance of the day or week, while people
have no idea you're actually taking pictures is what it's all about.

And folks that's the secret of unobtrusive photojournalism!  You are there
to watch and see your photo moments and certainly not there gabbing!

Those of you who know the submarine phrase.. "run silent, run deep!" Well
that also fits the unobtrusive photojournalist.

Observe and say nothing! Take pictures!!

ted

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] When in doubt ask photographer)