Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Jan 12 22:09:11 2008

Tina:  First of all, you are *not* too old.  If you were, you wouldn't know
as much about color management as you do!   :-)

I agree that the "fly on the wall" approach is best in many cases.  It
lends a sense of objectivity to the proceedings. And today, with
photography's veracity so suspect due to Photoshop abuse, it may be a
comfortable defense of one's work.

BUT. . . was Gene Smith an objective recorder of events?  How about HCB,
who was, it seems, more interested in composition than in capturing human
emotions? How about Peter Turnley?  I heard him speak here in Seattle a few
years back, and he said point blank that his personal mission was to
capture images that would affect positive social change.  Now, the real
question:  Are their photographs any less true because they photographed
with a point of view?  I don't think so.

And Tina, despite your ability to blend in with your subjects, your photos
of beautiful, wonderfully human Central Americans still reflect a point of
view. Another photojournalist might see only poverty and squalor, and his
(or her) photos would reflect that. So would another who sees only the
fruits of oppression.  Each would take very different pictures. I'm sure
that a few minutes with Google could net examples of each.  The Truth, like
the Grand Canyon, is impossible to capture in a single frame.  It's more
likely each of us captures a small angle on the truth.  If we're honest, we
do better.

I think that the honest photographer is going to do fine regardless of
their approach.  The trick is that you don't take, or don't use photos
where your presence has caused something that the subjects wouldn't do
ordinarily. If they are behaving as they normally would, but relating to
you in the process, I think that's OK.  There is a difference between being
unnoticed and being accepted.  Either one can produce truthful photographs.
It's the difference between the point of view of the omnicient observer and
the person who has earned trust.  I'm OK with either.

Me?  If the people I'm photographing don't notice me, fine. If they do, I
chat with them, and hope they decide I'm OK and go on with what they're
doing. At 6 foot 3 inches (190.5 cm) tall, I have a hard time not being
noticed.

And Mark Rabiner, I do *not* have peanuts on my breath!!!   :-)

--Peter

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] When in doubt ask photographer)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] When in doubt ask photographer)