Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Jan 12 14:15:45 2008

I was wondering when someone would bring the Heisenberg uncertainty
principle into the discussion.  :-)

I appreciate Jessica Dimmock's work.  From her own response to George, it
seems that she does things much as Tina does--hangs out with the people she
photographs, is accepted, and then takes pictures.  She may interact with
the subjects more, but so do many other photographers. If she is not
causing the subjects to do what they would not normally do, the photographs
are not lying.  The problem might come if she gets too involved with them
and they start playing to her, but this is even a problem in spot news.  I
sense this in some of her pictures, but not all. This isn't Gonzo, it's
just her way and her point of view.

Ask yourselves, why do some of us find these photographs a bit distasteful,
but think 50s and 60s photos of heroin addicts are great examples of
documentary photography?  Remember the Life magazine story about the young
couple who were heroin addicts?  The photographer got involved with them,
too.  I think it's partially that black and white makes the photos more
abstract. It's partially generational.  And it's partially that this
woman's style makes us look at the subjects in grainy color that looks like
shots from somebody's late-night party.  Except that the photos are from a
dingy apartment on the fringes of hell.  And today, we don't shrink from
showing the most degrading stuff, whereas 30-50 years ago, the worst would
have been self-censored by the photographer, or by the editor.

Somebody mentioned Kyle, and I was thinking, "why do many of us enjoy
Kyle's stuff, but the same people don't like Jessica Dimmock's?"  In most
of Kyle's stuff, there's a sense of playfulness and irony that buffers the
subject matter.  Jessica lays it all out there, and the only filter seems
to be that we get a sense of how she feels about it. That used to be called
being a "concerned photographer."  It may not be the Magnum 1950s way of
doing things, but it's valid.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] When in doubt ask photographer)