Subject: [Leica] IMG: Original scans
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Jan 2 16:59:23 2008

At 07:04 PM 1/2/2008, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>What scanner and software are you using?

Nikon LS5000 and NikonVue, VueScan and LaserSoft..

>  I scan my old Kodachromes on a
>lowly Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 with Nikon software, and don't see any
>issues (except for long scan times with 16-bit and 16x sampling), assuming I
>hit the exposure within reason.  These slides look very challenging - I'm
>not sure it is possible to recover the shadow detail, short of going back in
>time.

Yes, old scans from at least 20 years ago :-( Kodachromes have held
up well, but as others have pointed out, tastes have changed.
No more Kodachrome colors:
"They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the worlds a sunny day, oh yeah"  Thanks, Paul Simon.

I need the super bright colors of current stock images!!

>  If you are desperate and bored, you might try scanning different
>exposures and processing in Photomatix Pro.  It probably won't work.

Thanks!! :-(

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI