Subject: [Leica] Blurb books (a little catalogue)
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Dec 30 23:33:42 2007

On Dec 31, 2007 12:54 AM, Kyle Cassidy <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu> wrote:
> let's not forget that Ted Grant, B.D. Colen and Peter Miller, at the very
> least have published a number of "real" books and I'm sure there are quite
> a number of luggers out there who have written books about electronics,
> engineering, medicine, architecture, and lord knows what else. i just have
> the loudest mouth.
>
> but i really like the idea of seeing a (somewhat) comprehensive lists of
> the accomplishments of this very accomplished group.  thanks to nathan for
> putting it together. but i'd encourage him to add more than just
> photography books.
>
> what a database of widespread expertise we have here!

I tried to find a "free, as in free beer" link to a review, but most
journals are charging now-a-days:

Daniel Ridings, The Attic Moses: The Dependency Theme in Some Early
Christian Writers

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1467-9809.00084
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0038-7134(199704)72%3A2%3C558%3ATAMTDT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-K

It's been reviewed in The Netherlands (Vigiliae Christianae: A Review
of Early Christian Life and Language, BRILL)
Belgium, South Africa, Italy, the UK, the US, ... if I may say so
myself, it is key work that you can't get past if you are dealing with
early Christianity and its contacts with the secular world around it
during its forming years.

It will probably always rank among the best dealing with Clement of
Alexandria compared with those written in the last two hundred years
and probably the next two hundred years as well (I actually read
Clement of Alexandria, twice, which is more than what most people do
when they just read each other).

The nutshell paraphrase? Who copied whom? Was Plato influenced by
Moses, or was Christian theology influenced by middle and new
Platonism?

(opportunistically phrased, mind you).

If you want to buy it:

http://www.amazon.com/Attic-Mosses-Dependency-Christian-Gothoburgensia/dp/9173462756/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199086248&sr=1-3

http://tinyurl.com/2u4nfj

But save your money and splurge your bucks on Blurb if you really want
it. Write to me and I'll send you a copy. If you live far away, I
might need help with the postage.

Daniel