Subject: [Leica] OT: Monitors - your preferences?
From: ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Fri Dec 28 17:54:39 2007

I've had the luck of using a 5-year old ViewSonic VP2290b, on loan
from a colleague.

This beast has 3840x2400 pixels, while its diagonal measurement is a
modest 22 inch.  The density of pixels is very high at 204dpi, and
it's hard to see the individual pixels, even at a close range.
However, it gives a realistic rendition of photographs, not too
surprising as it was initially made by IBM for a defense contract to
for espionage photograph analysis, and was also used for medical
imaging.

It requires a pretty high-end graphics card to drive it properly: I
use an nVidia Quadro FX3400 card using two DVI cables: the display can
be driven as one 3840x2400 display, two 1920x2400 displays, four
1920x1200 displays or four 960x2400 displays.  Low-end and
consumer-level cards will try to run it at one 3840x2400 display, if
at all, at a refresh rate of 12 Hz interlaced.  Fine for static
images, but even scrolling becomes tiresome.

It pops up from time to time on eBay, and can be had for $1500 or so.
Brand new, it was originally over $20,000 and I have heard a rumour
that a similar monitor is being readied for sale by Toshiba soon.  I'd
be wary of the price, though.

Cheers,