Subject: [Leica] Consensus (? on LUG) on IR filters on M8
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Dec 13 15:33:50 2007

leo Wesson Offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Consensus (? on LUG) on IR filters on M8

>>>Usually I am shooting available light under whatever room light

exists(tungsten, fluorescent, candles, halide,window) and  occasionally I

will use bounce flash.  I usually shoot with  my M8 and also a Nikon D200.

If I don't have the IR filter on the M8, I can't get any consistency in

color between the 2 cameras.  Usually there are folks wearing black, dark

blue or dark green clothes and that can cause a funny color shift  to show

up.  I tried to workaround not using the filters and it was a big headache,

lots of photoshop time and the results weren't really something I felt good

about giving a client.<<<

Hi Leo,

Thank you for the answer.

I have to honestly say I too have encountered the "magenta monster"on
occasions as you describe. I mean as simple as I've made it sound I have too
admit to everyone, yes it's there on occasion and always when you don't want
it! I've just been very fortunate when it shows I've been able to turn it
into B&W or twiddle it enough in Photoshop and sort of barely save the day.

Quite frankly I know I've been damn lucky getting away with it the few times
it was obvious. And if I were shooting as much as I did in my earlier days I
too would have filters on.

A few times where it's shown up it actually acted as an enhancement for a
sunrise or set. But then there weren't any black suited people in the frame.
:-)

I'm back shooting my grandson playing basketball on the senior team in his
last year of high school and I tried shooting M8 along with the Canon 20D
and it was a complete waste of time! The M8 capture colour was horrible,
absolutely no comparison camera to camera. So the M8 stays in the bag now.

Thanks again for your post,

ted