Subject: [Leica] Some more 'cutting the edge'
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Sat Dec 8 11:01:31 2007

In my experience most folks who "make art" (of whatever caliber in
whatever medium) do it out of an inner drive. So it begins with the
maker (sender) feeling a need to express something in some medium and
form. Someone then reads the poem, hears the music, or views the
photograph and they experience some feeling (perhaps even repugnant).
This forms the basic relationship of the creator and the experiencer
of the creation - a fairly pure relationship.

When the viewer feels a need to comment on their experience we enter
the world of criticism (whether positive or negative). This begins to
muddy the pure relationship of creator and experiencer; and becomes
increasingly complex when the "critic" decides to earn a living by
their judgments.

When the viewer feels a need to own the creation, or a facsimile of
it, we enter the world of commerce; where we then add to the mix
"value" and "popularity;" which further muddies the original
relationship between creator and experiencer.

When the layers between creator and experiencer increase to merchants
(galleries, venues, periodical publishers), historians, museums, and
the like - well - things have become a bit muddied. ;~)

I think many of us appreciate the LUG as a fairly pure relationship
between folks driven to create still images (for whatever reason) and
experiencers of those images.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com