Subject: [Leica] Question on OLD 35mm
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Fri Dec 7 16:01:47 2007

I'm trying to get my Adox Adrette II working completely up to spec (the one
with the Xenon lens I wrote about last week.)  The shutter is slow, but
that's no problem.  The film winding mechanism works fantastically but there
is an issue with the placement of the film in the camera.  If I put in a
standard 35mm cassette, the film sits about 1.5mm lower than it needs to be.

The sprocket holes don't line up with the sprocket/counter and sit too low.
This will cause the sprockets to make tooth marks on the emulsion, just
inside where the frame would be normally.  On the other side, the film sits
against the gate a bit too low so lens projection will give an image the
normal size, but 1.5mm of sprocket hole area will be exposed.
My question is, when film used to be loaded by the user in reloadable
cassettes, did it sit differently in the camera vertically?
This little camera is smaller than a Barnack Leica, albeit with no
rangefinder, but the lens has an excellent reputation.  I'm looking forward
to shooting with it, but this issue is a considerable stumbling block.
Advice is always appreciated.
Phil

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Question on OLD 35mm)