Subject: [Leica] New Voigtlander 21mm M mount
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Fri Dec 7 01:46:53 2007

I  have been wishing for something a bit wider on my M8 than a 28mm,
but the cost of the wider Leica lenses have deterred me.  So, I
decided to try out a Voigtlander.

I went looking for the 21mm Color-Skopar f/4, the thread mount one
that comes with a viewfinder.  B&H was showing a new Voigtlander 21mm
f/4 M mount lens, so I bought that.  It arrived today.

This new lens is very thin, "pancake" style, and looks more "Leica"
like, with the lettering on the front of the lens, and a focus tab
similar to those on the Leica lenses.  The mount is an M bayonet.  The
aperture ring has two wings that make it very easy to grasp and set
the aperture.  The focus is very smooth, and the feel of the lens is
quite good.  The lens mounts a bit stiff in the bayonet, but that will
probably improve over time.

The lens does not come with a viewfinder (as does the screw version),
but the edges of the M8 viewfinder are close enough for my use.  So, I
don't think I will bother with an external viewfinder.  If I did, I
would get the 25mm.  The lens comes with a very small lens hood; I
will probably get the bigger hood.

The Leica f/2.8 ASPH 21mm is about 10 times the cost of this little
puppy.

Of course, now comes the important part; how do the images look?  So
far, very good.  I will have some to post after this weekend.  I have
tried putting an IR filter on the lens, and of course there is the
corner cyan issue.  Right now I am experimenting with a Sharpie trying
to get the M8 to think it is a Leica 21mm, to help correct that.

My main use is going to be travel, so I think that this lens will do
just fine.

Here is my question:  what should I do with the $3,200 I saved by
buying this lens over the Leica?  ;-)

Regards,
Bob Rose

Replies: Reply from eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi) ([spam] [Leica] New Voigtlander 21mm M mount)