Subject: [Leica] Cutting edge photography
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Wed Dec 5 10:37:39 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Phil Swango wrote:
> I saw this elsewhere and thought it was relevant to the thread.
>
> http://www.newsweek.com/id/73349

An interesting read. The author seems to have some bias ;~)

Phil also posted the following off list. I found it thoughtful and
rich with Photographer references worth follow up by those interested.
I reprint here with his permission:

"George, I've given you question a little thought and am having
trouble responding because I'm not sure how to parse "cutting edge"
in this context.  I have links to the academic fine arts photography
community here in New Mexico and my daughter is a recent graduate of
the UNM program.  I have a friend who works for Joel-Peter Witkin,
etc.  I went back to the PhotoEye site but I don't think the emphasis
there is so much on new or novel or edgy as what's currently hot, and
that could include older photogs as well.  Photogs who are getting a
lot of attention right now are Jeff Wall, Alec Soth, Martin Parr, Nan
Goldin, Philip-Lorca diCorsia, Reneke Dijkstra, Huger Foote, Uta
Barthe, Gregory Crewdson, Bettina Rheims, Abelardo Morrell, Sylvia
Plachy, Nikki S. Lee, Shana and Robert ParkeHarrison and many
others.  Alec Soth just produced this year's Magnum Fashion magazine
(Paris Minnesota), which should be pretty cutting edge by the usual
definition.  I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for though.

There has been a pronounced tendency in art academia in recent years
to de-emphasize what we called "art photography" in favor of the
concept of using photography to make art in a variety of forms.  Also
to use photography to document conceptual works, etc.  I recently had
a chance to go through the archives of the late artist Robert
Heinecken, who used photography extensively in his work but was not a
photographer at all.  Same could be said of Ed Ruscha, except that he
did start out as a photographer.  And many others.

I still enjoy and am challenged by Wm. Eggleston, Stephen Shore, Wm.
Christenberry, and other folks who were probably cutting edge back
when they first emerged but are part of the art establishment now.

If you can find it, I recommend a book by David Campany called "Art
and Photography" (Phaidon, 2003).  It's a survey of photography in
the fine arts since the 1960s with intelligent commentary.  My
daughter used it as a textbook a couple of years ago.  Probably
everyone in it was called cutting edge at one time or another. ;-) "

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com
www.imagist.com