Subject: [Leica] RAM in Laptop
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Nov 28 22:29:49 2007

Hi Jeffery,

I don't know. I just realized that my desktop at home in NL is not 4
but 5 years old. It is far from non-functional. I bought it back then
with 1 GB RAM, which I have since doubled, and I also added a second
internal HD and a better DVD burner at some point. It runs Lightroom
and CS2 just fine, as well as the other software I have on it.
Granted, I still use Office 2000 on it, but so what?

Likewise, my Powerbook G4 which now is my main computer (since it is
the only one I have with me here in Spain) came with 512 MB when I
bought it in early 2006, but for about ?100 I added the RAM to bring
it up to 1.25 GB, and it  runs both Lightroom and Photoshop just
fine. Basically almost all the pictures I have posted this year have
been processed on this computer.

I have found over the years that one of Adobe's virtues is that
successive versions of their programs do not necessarily get bigger
and slower the way most other software does. When I went from
Photoshop 7 to CS, I discovered to my delight that CS actually ran
faster on the same hardware.

I think that as long as one does not follow Microsoft's upgrade path,
a computer can easily last several years before it is obsolete.

Nathan

On 29-nov-2007, at 3:03, Jeffery Smith wrote:

>> I think that "as much as you can afford" is the best answer. I
>> will no
>> longer buy a computer with less than 4gb. A PC that I bought that
>> was a real
>> "screamer" 5 years ago is now completely non-functional. Just
>> starting
>> Windows and getting Outlook up and running takes about 15 minutes.
>> What you
>> buy now will be made obsolete as soon as possible. That's what keeps
>> computer manufacturers in business. Today's screamer is tomorrow's
>> molasses
>> in winter. An Apple notebook that I bought in early 2005 now
>> crawls with its
>> 512mb RAM. Same computer, but new software. Since you cannot feed the
>> computer steroids, buy a muscular one to begin with.
>>

> --
> Jeffery L. Smith
> New Orleans, LA

Nathan Wajsman