Subject: [Leica] OT Who am I to say
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed Nov 28 13:56:18 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Douglas Sharp wrote:

> A colossal range of diverse characters from around the globe, with
> an even wider range of opinions, tastes, skills, experience,
> spontaneity and diversity are what makes this group what it is.
>
> Sending or receiving mails here is often like having a chat over the
> (global) back garden fence - if you  don't want to chat, you don't
> have to - the number of clicks to delete a message is the same as
> the number required to read it (if not in fact less).
>
> The "thank you for looking" - "great shot" - "try this" or "try
> that" - "anyone know about XYZ?" messages that abound, reflect the
> manners and (essentially) polite tone of the list, it is in fact
> very rare that anyone declines to express thanks for information
> requested and given (sometimes within seconds of posting!!).
> Arguments happen, people take sides, but all is usually amicably
> resolved in the end - as in most large families.
>
> In the same way , it is also rare that images posted remain
> uncommented in some way, and  hardly a day goes by without learning
> something new, interesting or useful here, seeing some country ,
> culture or way of life I may never experience, get taken into the
> living rooms (and kitchens - Steve) of our members, get invited to
> weddings and family occasions, watch children and pets growing up,
> laugh or feel sad - the place is the perfect role model for a global
> community.
>
> Personally - I love it all
> Douglas

hearing Douglas so beautifully sum it up, reminds me why I am here....

it's probably as close as one can now get to the days when artists,
writers, and intellectuals rubbed shoulders and shared thoughts on the
Left Bank (that may be a stretch, but this analogy often comes to my
mind). Frustration/irritation goes with the turf, occasionally we all
feel it.  If the whole thing turns you off,  you likely stumbled
into  the wrong bistro.

but if you decide to stay...welcome !

Steve