Subject: [Leica] a Leica D lens 4/3 question
From: dbaker9128 at comcast.net (dbaker9128@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Nov 25 14:27:22 2007

Steve wrote:
"Is anyone using the Leica D Summilux 25mm f1.4 for the 4/3 system? I'd like
to hear about your experience/impression re this lens...Oh,  btw... is there
a Leica R to Olympus adapter ring with focus confirmation yet?"

Hi Steve

Yes, I have the Leica/Lumix D 25mm Summilux that I use on my Digilux 3. I
recommend it without hesitation, if you can find it in stock. Since its
introduction last May it has sold out quickly at B&H when they receive their
monthly allotment. I would recommend you register to have B&H notify you by
email when it comes back in stock and then purchase it without delay.

The 25 Lux is sharp wide open and does not have any curvilinear distortion
commonly associated with high speed normal focal length lenses. I gauge it
to be at its best at f/2.8 and I have not seen any problems with CA. It is a
big lens and comes with a large petal shaped lens hood that makes it even
larger. What the 25 Lux reminds me of is a super-sized Noctilux in its shape
and the way the barrel necks down to the lens mount, it uses 62mm filters.
It balances very nicely on the D3, has good bokeh and autofocuses quickly
and quietly. It gives my admittedly dim D3 viewfinder a bright and contrasty
view.

I don't think you need a "special" 4/3rds adapter for the focus confirmation
light to work with R lenses if you have the D3 or Lumix L1. I understand
that the 2.0 firmware update for both of those bodies provided that feature.

Doug from Tumwater

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] a Leica D lens 4/3 question)