Subject: [Leica] Leica Digital and sports
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Nov 18 07:34:14 2007

Robert G. Stevens showed:

> I have been away from this list for a while and thought I would pop

> back in to see what is going on.

> Some of the older members of the list know that I shoot some sports

> with my Leicas.  Here is a gallery of some shots I took today.  The

> first two were with the M8 using the WATE and the 135mm f4.  The rest

> were with the DMR.

>> http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=194&c=37

Hi Robert,

Welcome home! :-) Nice to see you're still shooting the sports scene.

Any chance you'll have a shot at Beijing for the Summer Olympics? Of all the
Games I've covered over the years this is one I'd surely love to attend just
from the location point. Although the mass of people might change my mind.
Not to forget the "media crowd" will be in numbers beyond belief!

Friends from wire service organizations who've been to check facilities for
media and photo positions where available, responses are positive.

However there does come a time when carrying 3 or 4 R motor driven cameras
attached to everything from a 15mm to 400 lens strapped over your shoulders
and neck all at the same time become a little much! :-) Not to forget the
laptop and other electronic paraphernalia of these days.

Besides there aren't any full blown all in one piece Leica digital SLR's
that could be trusted to survive the beatings at Games of this nature.
Although I'm sure Leica will have any new version digital cameras there as a
test venue, but in the hands of their technical people."

As usual some gear will be allotted to specific Leica photographers to use
in their regular assignments as another form of testing to see how the gear
stands up in the general use in the push and shove of photo positions!. Much
like in previous Games.

The Calgary Winter Olympics and Seoul Summer Games I was given one of 4
prototype 400 2.8's as soon as I arrived in both cities. The technical
manager offered, "Just bring it back after Closing Ceremonies! And when you
get home please write a report about it's use and results, thank you." And
that was it, I walked out the door! Smiling! :-)

However, with the cost of the lens ringing in my ears I carried it around
like a mother with a new born child! :-)  Unfortunately a Brit photog put
his over his shoulder while on a monopod and the screw broke and the lens
crashed to the concrete floor and what one might say,  "bent it badly!"  Oh
well it was a test lens and some are expected to get banged up was the
response of the technical people.. :-(

They had 4 lenses in Calgary, after this incident there were only 3 in
Seoul. I was given mine and returned it closing day. The same Brit photog
who destroyed the lens in Calgary was given another.

Unfortunately he did the same thing as in Calgary. He put the lens mounted
on a monopod over his shoulder while ascending the concrete stairs of the
Main Coliseum, half way to the top the lens and an brand new R7 with motor
drive and all came off! It began bouncing and crashing it's way to the
bottom concrete step to step. :-(

By the time someone finally stopped it, the front lens elements were
fractured the barrel had sort of come apart in the middle, the R7 and motor
where in pieces hanging by wires or whatever! A complete write off. Too say
the least, the Leica head tech guy wasn't a happy camper at the returned
bits and pieces!

I know you use a 400 2.8 and I have no doubt you don't just flip it over
your shoulder on a monopod. ;-) But be forewarned! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from leica1 at robsteve.com (Robert G. Stevens) ([Leica] Leica Digital and sports)