Subject: [Leica] My 1st IIIc purchase
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Nov 12 19:38:55 2007

PhilFo, firstly for less than $20, you don't have to think about it. Just
buy it. The decision comes later regarding whether you
want to spend the money to have shutter and the finder repaired. If not you
are only out $20 and who knows it might have some useful
spares in it. I have a 111c from the same period. It is very clean BUT needs
new shutter blinds. Here the cost is prohibitive
compared to another clean 111c in working condition (still allowing for a
CLA). You would expect to pay for a CLA for any 111c that
you acquire (just had done by previous owner or to be arranged by you).
Shutters that sound "accurate" are very unlikely to be so.
That would be normal and the CLA should cover that, at least down to 30th
sec. Paying for blinds and finder repairs is quite a
different thing.
Everyone dreams of picking up a bargain that they can just get a bit of work
on. Almost certain that it will cost more than you
expect. You really need to be practical and get a good idea of what it will
really cost to turn into a user. You might as well start
with one that is clean externally and has at least a functional rangefinder.

Best of luck and let us know how you go.
Cheers
hoppy