Subject: [Leica] Question about A42 M Polarizer #13351
From: hoppyman at msn.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Oct 26 13:55:35 2007

Didier my understanding on the current universal polariser sold by Leica
It is a circular polariser
it will work equally well on AF SLRS and M cameras
It costs a LOT

I have no experience with the model that you quoted. If it is a linear
design It may not work as well on an AF SLR, but should be fine on an M.
To the best of my knowledge both types must display the same characteristic
regarding the 0 vs 180 positions. After all the whole point is that the
polarised light is directional.
Dependant on the construction some designs are better (and more expensive)
than others. This may or may not be academic for you.

I found a good site with some theory here
http://dpfwiw.com/polarizer.htm#circular<http://dpfwiw.com/polarizer.htm#circular>

B+W have some info in their downloadable PDF filter book here
http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/handbook/<http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/handbook/>

Cheers
Hoppy