Subject: [Leica] Getting into Leica
From: jknotzke at shampoo.ca (Justin F. Knotzke)
Date: Wed Oct 24 03:53:49 2007

On 23/10/2007, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand@gmail.com> wrote:

> Justin,
> >From the look of your portfolio, you would be better off sticking to
> Nikon.
> I shoot both Nikon and Leica, and am not messianic about the latter - for
> sports, etc, there is really no choice, its Nikon all the way. I would
> suggest you buy a Nikon digital. For street shots, people, low light shots
> etc is where the Leica M shines, effectively from the wide end to 90mm is
> IMHO the usable range.

   Hi,

   First off, thanks to everyone who has replied. Someone warned me this
list was active! ;-)

   I cannot believe the response. Very impressive with some excellent
advice.

   The problem with my portfolio is that it is way too heavily sports based.
But, my best shots are sports. I'm a bit fed up with shooting sports. It
costs me a fortune in film and development and then more in time to scan all
the negs. Going digital is an option, but not one that I want to take. I
write and design software for a living and I don't want to spend my free
time in front of a computer. I like B&W and I like the darkroom..

    That, and I've been bitten several times by my sports photos being used
for commercial purposes without my permission and given that this isn't my
fulltime gig, I didn't want to fight it.. So suffice is to say, I haven't
shot much sports lately.

    My problem is that I don't shoot much any more! I used to shoot gobs and
gobs of film but I stopped. I used to take my camera everywhere with me.. I
don't any more. I got tired of lugging the F5 and 17-35 with me. As
fantastic as the camera is, and I am completely in love with the lens, it
weighs just slightly less then my car and my back hates me.

    Of course the Hassy isn't much better!

    So, I'm looking for a smaller camera. The M6 looks to be like a decent
choice.

    Of course the question that I now have is if not just buying a FE2,
saving LOTS of money in the process and not having to deal with selling all
my gear (and I will get nothing for the F5) isn't a better way to go then
buying into a Leica.. But I guess that's a personal issue. ;-)

    Having shot with all kinds of cameras, tried all kinds of films, souped
in all kinds of chemicals, I've come to the conclusion that what makes a
great photo is and in order:

   1. Lighting
   2. Subject matter
   3. Film format
   4. Camera make and lens

    And really, number 4 is a far distant fourth..

    Listen, again, I cannot begin to thank you all enough.

--
Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@shampoo.ca

Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Getting into Leica)