Subject: [Leica] Re: Getting into Leica
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Tue Oct 23 17:18:38 2007

I'd better agree with Marc, as I have a cla'ed IIIc coming from
Youxin in the mail, a 3,5/3.5cm LSM Summaron, and an Imarect in the
bag waiting for a dance partner.  I just sold my CL. Nice as it was,
even with #@$%&! plastic inside, I just wasn't all that fond of
shooting it due to the focusing constraints and tiny RF patch.  Once
one gets the hang of loading a LSM (a simple rite of passage), my old
III wasn't at all bad to be shooting with....particularly seeing what
ANY used M is fetching these days.  Ergo, a second M3 wasn't in the
budget, even considering the ramen-noodle diet.  If one drops  a III,
there isn't the coronary excursion one would expect in dropping a
M6/7/8.

Other than perhaps a K, way too many II/IIIs were made to be the
'rare collectible' only sellers on 'that other auction site'
use....ranks right up there with 'minty'. I'm still waiting for a
listing purporting that Martin Bormann used it on holiday in
Paraguay. :P

A cla must be a given when considering any intricate, precision,
mechanical device that should have an AARP card, IMHO.

Unless someone has a fat wad of cash burning through their pocket, a
serviced III variant with postwar glass is an excellent place to
start.  There were almost a million hand made Leicas before 'right or
replace' set in with the M4-2. They had to be doing something right.
If and when the bug bites, Leica is a jealous god waiting to take all
you have. :)

Your mileage may vary,

Charlie