Subject: [Leica] Nokton 35 (was Didier's PAW 2007 #44)
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sat Oct 20 15:53:56 2007

Ric

There's no other reason to buy such a big and heavy lens than the speed. I
have used f1.2  several times where every half stop more was welcome (but no
pictures amongst worth to be posted, so far).

The lens is very sharp stopped down but even at lower apertures it looks
largely sharp enough to me, though Mr. Erwin Puts has another opinion about
this. But fortunately he does not shoot my pictures.

I'm also very pleased with it's bokeh, which is the creamiest from all fast
CV lenses I own or owned (Ultron 35, Nokton 40). I believed all asph lenses
have a rather harsh bokeh but this lens, with 3 asph surfaces, proves the
opposite.

The handling is also good for me, even when the focus ring is slightly
stiff. From my experience with the 40 Nokton this will imrove when using it
often enough. The aperture ring is more than comfortable. A funny detail,
the f1.2 stop makes another, higher sound than all other stops. You "hear"
the speed...

The finder intrusion, with standard hood, is not significant with the Epson
R-D1 but more with the M6 which has a lower finder position. The bayonet
index is a bit small and too discreet for quick and intuitive lens changing.
But's that's peanuts.

All in all, a very recommended lens if you want the speed - there's no Nocti
in the 35 class.

Didier

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Nokton 35 (was Didier's PAW 2007 #44))
Message from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Didier's PAW 2007 #44)