Subject: [Leica] OT Mac vs PC
From: 54moggie at embarqmail.com (Robert Lilley)
Date: Wed Oct 17 05:30:48 2007

This is a good point - the fact Mac runs UNIX.  UNIX is noted for requiring
less overhead to run and is very stable.  The "cron" utility, yes UNIX has a
"cron" too, polls the system on a regular basis to determine if anything
system related needs doing and executes the activity.  This is one of the
reasons why you don't need to reboot UNIX when installing most software or
making system changes.  Well, that's what I remember from AT&T UNIX System V
anyway.  I believe you have to reboot PC's in order to load things into the
registry, etc.

If you Mac folks think that you've had the last word in physical computer
component design, (after all, Mac's are pretty) you should've seen the AT&T
7300 UNIX PC circa 1984.  It was real "ET go home"!  It was the first
windows type interface too.

Rob