Subject: [Leica] OT Mac vs PC
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Oct 17 01:26:05 2007

Nathan

My OSX 10.4 G5 is very stable, though it's slow for using the Adobe Flash
author application, one of my main apps. But I don't know whats wrong with
your PC's. I can't remember when I rebooted the last time one of mine (a
laptop XP pro 1.8GHz Centrino, one desktop XP pro 3.8Ghz P-IV). Though I
have lots of 3D games which are the usual suspects when a system breaks.

On the configuration side I've a hardware firewall (router), Zone Alarm
software Firewall basic, Avira Antivir, that's it. Avoid Norton or McAfee in
any case as these apps slow down the whole system (and cost a lot). To
uninstall Norton, a special tool is required as the software control panel
from Windows does not uninstall it properly (search for Norton removal
tool).

But maybe the reason for my PC's stability is another. I'm a advanced user
and have them finetuned, and dropped lots of unneded apps and services, and
am careful about installing new stuff. I guess it's this what makes the
difference. From this point of view, macs are much easier to handle. Buy,
plug and play.

Didier

Message from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT Mac vs PC)