Subject: [Leica] OT Mac vs PC
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Oct 16 13:15:14 2007

Hmmm . . . OS X's next incarnation (Leopard) will have a nifty back-up
function called TimeMachine and there are wealth of useful tools for
doing more complex backups, many of them free and useful for
individuals. Good methods using shell scripts abound. Recover is as
simple if time-consuming simply because of the amount of data that
might have to be transfered.

I freely admit that outside of running XP via Parallels on my Mac so I
can update some Garmin software and test a few things on different web
browsers, I don't use Windows at all, nor do I care to. Just looking
at it grates on  me. Ick. Of course I firmly understand that I've
never been a part of the Microsoft culture and have a totally
different set of expectations for how things work. I'm sure those who
have always used Windows find OS X just as irritating. It does,
however, crash less and has fewer known viruses. (NOTE: I didn't say
OS X can't GET viruses, just that there aren't currently any known
ones giving problems. That could change and probably will when the
Russians get around to it and the Mac market share gets big enough.
It's clear from the iPhone experience that there are holes in Safari
that can be exploited...)

 Backing up servers and high-reliability, high-availability systems is
a different kettle of fish. Few of us, save perhaps Brian with the LUG
system, have such systems at home, however.

Myself I keep a backup of my system drive that is updated every night.

I keep duplicates of my images on different hard drives, most
unmounted and off-line, stored safely, although I'm starting to ponder
yet another backup where I write to DVD. I don't have a feeling for
how reliable DVDs are for long-term storage, though. CDs just aren't
large enough any more. (Egad).