Subject: [Leica] Re: Alkan
From: ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Wed Oct 10 12:06:25 2007

> On Oct 10, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Afterswift@aol.com wrote:
>?>?In a message dated 10/10/2007 6:40:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>?>?lug-request@leica-users.org writes:
>?>?
>?>?Any serious student of piano music knows that Alkan was hardly
>?>?obscure!
>?>?
>?>?And what does his religion have to do with any appreciation of ?
>?>?his works?
>?
>?it's important...
>?
>?he could only play with one hand...
>?
>?he had a Kosher pickle in the other...
>?
> Steve

?I believe that the?Grandes Etudes, Op. 76 was composed over lunch.  While
writing the first etude for left hand, he had a dill pickle in the right
hand.  He ate his sandwich with his left hand while writing the second etude
for the right hand.  After finishing lunch, furious that his lunch wasn't
big enough, he wrote the third etude for both hands.

http://imslp.net/images/c/c2/Alkan-Trois_grandes_%C3%A9tudes.pdf

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Re: Alkan)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Re: OT Alkan)