Subject: [Leica] Kodak TMax-400
From: alex at zabrovsky.com (alex@zabrovsky.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 07:59:55 2007

Quoting "J. Newell" <john.o.newell@comcast.net>:

> I will probably have people hurling things at me...but I've stopped
> using silver-based B&W film.  I migrated to the C41 emulsions
> because they scan more easily...but I'm on the verge of deciding I'm
>  not going to replace the Kodak and Ilford C41 B&W film when the
> fridge is empty, but go with color emulsions instead.  Reason:
> shooting color I can process either way, but you can't "up-process"
> a B&W exposure to make it color, on the off chance that would be a
> better choice.  This means I don't have to make choices when I load
> the camera whether it's going to be B&W or color.  It also means,
> potentially, bringing less film (don't have to cover both bases)
> and/or one less cameras (don't need an extra "extra" body loaded
> with the other film).
> YMMV and many readers' probably will...
> John Newell

Well, John, I certainly see a thoughtful point of view in your
reasoning, I was also at the same fence some time ago (even though I'm
still quite new to B&W realm). Just like you the crazy thoughts of
abandoning silver B&W in favor of color C41 were bouncing in my mind
bearing in mind scanning is one mandatory step in my flow anyway and
easy matter of grayscale conversion in software.
However, I managed to stay strong :) and resisted the urge which was
backed up by a good reasoning of myself: I found a great joy of manual
B&W processing at my home convenience (I only do development). I do at
the time that is convenient for me, no need to drive to lab which
turns to be quite annoying taking into acount working hours, family
matters, etc...
Second: I found B&W is really fascinating for street stuff - color one
somehow looses its magic, kind of dropping documentary mood. It seems
to me street in B&W allows for kind of timeless appearance which I
really like.
Besides, home B&W development turns to be considerably cheaper (at
least for me) then lab C41 processing per roll, probably because I
used to use a commonly available commercial developers, nothing exotic.
Of course, there is the price that needs to be paid - in my case,
manual cleanup after high-rez scanning. Granted, that can be annoying
and at time even frustrating experience, but I learned to be tolerable
to a moderate dirt on the scans which doesn't steal from overall image
appearance and only invest my time in thorough cleaning of the scans
that are going to get printed (and I do not print a lot, only the fine
selections which are quite few in my more then modest hit rate...).
Of course, I kep shooting color also, but mostly the stuff that is
more family-related such as events or kids happenings - those things
are under my wife's "supervision"...

Alex