Subject: [Leica] new 1.5 50 Sonnar
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Oct 3 17:04:34 2007

Frank, this one is very likely the same glass but the mount is completely
different due to the complex helical arrangement for the
Nikon S. Like the old Contaxes, I guess? No focus ring on the lens. I guess
it has the same optical cell as the CVs but the mount
design is completely different. Have a look at the picture. I note that it
is only available on special order from dealers and for a
limited time. Remember that Cameraquest had some S mount lenses listed for a
while under the Voigtlander brand but they're now
discontinued. Kobayashi San did produce the Bessa R2S for a little while
(and now a new limited version with a Heliar).
I agree that M mount options are the most useful. I would have thought that
an LTM version of that one would not be difficult. No
doubt not a huge market for it, but they'd have to sell more than Nikon S
mounts surely. The attraction is to be able to use the
petite LTM bodies with it. I got a couple of the CVs to use with my 111c but
sadly my shutter blinds aren't repaired as yet.
Anyhoo I just thought it was interesting. Probably should have posted to the
RF list instead ;-)

Cheers
Hoppy