Subject: [Leica] new 1.5 50 Sonnar
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Oct 3 07:15:31 2007

A. Lal wrote:

> There were not that many Nikon RF made, around  100+ k, while perhaps 10
> times as many Contaxes and Kievs were made. It is likely that Cosina is
> behind the decision to release this in S mount.  The 50/1.5 Cosina
> Nokton is still available to Nikon RF owners while Contax users cannot
> buy modern optics to put on their cameras. Very Strange.

My guess is that it is a silent, implicit nod of approval to the lenses
made in the Soviet Union. The Jupiter-3's were simply so good that there
is as great a need for modern lenses on these older Contax and Kiev bodies.

There was a lot of misinformation about how crappy the Soviet lenses
were ... but they weren't.

Not as good as modern Zeiss, but not so bad that you'd want to spend a
whole lot to get the modern Zeiss glass.

Daniel

Message from alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] new 1.5 50 Sonnar)