Subject: [Leica] IMG: Jupiter-9 (Sonnar)
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Sep 30 22:41:11 2007

Thanks Luis, Hoppy, Jeffery, Jack and Ric.

I suppose that the Agfapan APX400 might account for the "noise", or
grain, Luis. It isn't a fine-grain film. But as Ric noted, it can
deliver some nice tones (the Sonnar design helps).

Jeffery, I have two Jupiter-9's and they both perform like top notch
lenses. Well, the silver one can flare easily, but that probably has to
do this the deep gash on the front element. BUT ... both of them are for
the Contax/Kiev mount. I think the difficulties involved with getting a
good Jupiter-9 might be more in connection with finding a good one in
Leica screw mount. It's a pity the Contax/Kiev bodies aren't better than
they are. They show their pre-WWII age. They were probably superior to
the screw-mount Leicas, but if you've used an M, they show their age.

Once again, thanks all. I've been booked solid and haven't picked a paw
yet. It will be one of them in my showbox:

http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/2007v39/
http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/2007v39/?g2_page=2

They are almost all just test shots, making sure the Kiev body was up to
snuff.

Daniel