Subject: [Leica] portrait of Elizabeth (mostly safe for work)
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Sun Sep 30 15:18:05 2007

You boys and girls need to get your minds out of the gutter. Generally,
trying to pin down the /message /behind an image is best left to
dabblers and wannabes. Photographs always work best when there is no
particular handle which  readily fits. The best images always seem to
occur when we lose track of the mental motivation and shoot without
thinking it too death. Don't get me wrong because planning is essential.
Plan to put yourselves in a situation when things can happen and be ready..

If we really want to see porn then maybe Readers Digest *is* the best
place to start. There and the daily press or six o'clock news. Simple
minded mass propaganda. If we really want to see  /art /take a look at
some of Ralph Gibson's work. Heck, in /Deus Ex Machina  /Gibson shoots
some pretty revealing acts. Nonetheless, I'd never call it pornographic.
I'd never call Kyle's image the least bit suggestive. It does drip
symbolism though and that's what sets it apart. Maybe we've all been fed
too many sound bites and Macdonald's commercials. Our senses have become
calloused and no longer grant us an easy solution to the need for
communication. Personally, I think Kyle might be on his way to becoming
a real master of the art.

Walt