Subject: [Leica] 21mm Lens Questions
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Sep 25 11:25:04 2007

At 6:57 PM -0700 9/24/07, red735i@earthlink.net wrote:
>I have a want for a 21mm lens.  the Leica made Elmarits ( ASPH, or
>Non ASPH) are too expensive for me.  Ditto the Super Angulons
>
>I have a 21mm finder already ( from my 16 year old Contax RF days).
>
>I am asking about these 3 lenses......
>
>21/4.5 ZM Zeiss Biogon
>21/2.8 ZM Zeiss Biogon
>21mm Color Skopar.  P ( M Mount )  or Non-P, LTM
>
>I am interested in relative optical quality, and to a lesser extent,
>mechanical build quality and smoothness.
>
>For those with any relative experience to the Leica lenses, please comment.
>
>Note.. I have read Erwin's review on the 21/2.8.... he says good
>things.  But by comparison to the 4.5 ????
>
>Thanks
>Frank

I've used most of the 21's made for the Leica, including both Super
Angulons, ASPH and non-ASPH Elmarits, the curretn 21/4.5 ZM Biogon
and the 21/4 CV as well as some other more obscure 21's. The only one
I haven't used is the 21/2.8 ZM Biogon.

At present I have a 3.4 Super Angulon, the 21/4 CV (P and LTM are
optically identical) and a 21/2.8 ASPH.

The 21/4.5 ZM Biogon is at least the equal of the 21/2.8 ASPH in
everything except speed, and either of these lenses is a lot better
than the 21/4 CV or any other 21 I've used. The non-ASPH Elmarit is
not as good as the 21/4 CV.

My understanding is that the 21/2.8 ZM is close to but not quite up
to the standard of the ASPH, but that if you want the best 21, the
f/4.5 ZM is the one.

In practice this is somewhat academic, since it requires always using
the lens at it's optimum aperture (f/5.6-8), using the finest grain
film and high shutter speeds.

If I wanted to buy a 21 right now (and didn't have any others lying
around) I would take a long look at the 21/2.8 ZM, and if I felt
happy with the size (length) would probably get it.

BTW, Zeiss should be delighted with the quality that Cosina is
producing for them. If the lenses cost as much as the Leica lenses,
there might be a (very) small quibble about the materials chosen for
the mount, but not optically.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design