Subject: [Leica] R lens comparison
From: crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall)
Date: Sun Sep 23 23:55:24 2007

Jack

In my own view the better shorter focal length rangefinder lens (up to
75mm) outperform the comparable R lenses. Having said that you will
find the 35 f2 and 50mm f2 R lenses are good enough for most work; I
believe the latest 50 f1.4 R is very good only surpassed by the latest
50 f1.4 M ASPH. The 90mms (Elmarit f2.8 and f2 Apos) are very similar.
The 135mm f3.4 Apo M is said be very good without a direct counterpart
in the R range. Apart from that the R range's real strength is in the
long lenses: 90 f2 Apo, the Apo-Macro 100 f2.8 Apo, the 180 Apo, the
80-200 f4 zoom.

As always its horses for courses. Chris B