Subject: [Leica] [IMG] PAW 25 and Alt - Homage to Sutcliffe
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed Sep 19 03:45:58 2007

Thank you Nathan,

"FMS" is Frank Meadow Sutcliffe, probably the pre-eminent British Victorian
and
Edwardian photgrapher of scenes in and around the sea, you wouldn't really
call
them "seaside". See

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?txtkeys1=Sutcliffe,+Frank+Meadow

and the much more commercial and detailed official Sutcliffe Gallery at:

http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/

Douglas Sharp knows a lot more about him than I do, but he (FMS) chronicled
Whitby over a period when life was starting to change beyond recognition. His
pictures are of a vanishing world.

The photo wasn't intended as a reproduction of any particular image, but he
was
certainly in my mind when I took it.

Peter